About Michael D. O’Steen, P.E.
Michael D. O’Steen, P.E. is a professionally licensed engineer specializing in the structural design and inspection of residential and commercial structures with expertise in development within coastal environments. Michael D. O’Steen, P.E. has served as President of his engineering firm from 2009 to the present. During this time, Mike has performed business development and project management as engineer of record from development concept to completed construction for design-build delivery schedules.
Mr. O’Steen has served as a Board Member on the Outer Banks Home Builders Association for the past three years. By serving on the Board, Michael serves to protect the local building community by remaining up to date on legislative and code related topics. It has also provided opportunities to build relationships with highly skilled professionals throughout the construction industry.
Michael continues to stay abreast of new engineering technologies and practices in order to provide the best service for his clients. By regularly participating in continuing education courses, Mr. O’Steen is able to utilize the most up to date engineering practices as well as new and emerging technologies.
Below is a partial list of the continuing education courses Mike has completed:
- High wind and flood desing for new and existing buildings using ASCE 24 and ASCE 7-10
- High Wind Design for Wood Pile Construction
- Design of Metal Building Systems: Avoid Pitfalls in Specifying and Procuring
- Design of Lateral Force Resisting Systems Using the 2009 International Building Code
- ATC-45 Safety Evaluation of Buildings after Wind Storms and Floods
- Avoiding Failures of Retaining Walls
- Seismic Loads for Buildings and other Structures
- Moment-Resisting Connections in Steel Structures
- Cold Formed Steel X-Brace Design
- Wind Design for Non-Residential Wood Structures
- Wind and Seismic Retrofit of Buildings
- Wind Loads for Buildings and Other Structures
- Estuarine Shorelines: Value, Regulations & Stabilization
- State of North Carolina #032698 (29/12/2006)
- Commonwealth of Virginia #044150 (16/10/2007)
- State of South Carolina #27512 (17/07/2009)
- NCEES record #31863 (05/09/2007)
- International Registry of Professional Engineers #31863 (28/02/2010)
To download Michael’s resumé, please click here.
Michael lives on the Outer Banks in Kill Devil Hills with his wife and two children. In his free time, Mike enjoys spending time with his family, enjoying the beautiful Outer Banks’s beaches for surfing and fishing. Mike also coaches several of his children’s sports teams through the Dare County Parks & Recreation.